Thursday, January 15, 2009

Trend Thursday: Something Blue

Last year, I had told one of my brides that turquoise jewelry will be the next big thing and that she should look into getting a piece to wear on her wedding day. She looked at me as if I had three eyes. Well...now that Eva Mendes has busted out the bold Turquoise and Diamond necklace by Van Cleef & Arpels with that white Dior dress at the 2009 Golden Globes, you can bet brides will be clamoring for this look and adding that turquoise stone as their something blue for their special day.

What I love and have always loved about Turquoise jewelry is the natural look it has and the instant "BAM" it gives when you are wearing it. Sure, people often think of Turquoise as being too "native" or too "western" but in reality, a lot of jewelers are making this rock look modern, as did Van Cleef & Arpels mixing it up with Diamonds. Additionally, for you green brides...Turquoise is a natural stone/gem and scarcity or mining them has not been an issue.

The other thing I love about Turquoise is the veining of the stone/gem. I love that look and the myriad of different shades of blues and greens it comes in. To me it makes such a statement regardless of how big or small the piece is. I can see grooms donning Turquoise cuff links, while the bride wears it as a necklace or bracelet. It would also make spectacular gifts for the wedding party. Fittingly Turquoise jewelry represents purity and in Europe, it is given as forget-me-nots or as a pledge of adoration.

I am willing to bet Turquoise will be the hottest accessory this season not only for brides but also for women hitting the town. Ditch the Pearls, the Amber, and the Colored Diamonds and opt for the spectacular blue. Get on the Turquoise bandwagon now before the prices of such pieces soar.

-Percy

Photos: Eva Mendes from WireImage and Turquoise necklace and bracelet from NOVICA

No comments:

Other Articles You May Like

Related Posts with Thumbnails