Wednesday, November 5, 2008

History has been Made

Yes We Did! Congratulations to Barack Obama on winning the US Presidency. What a historic moment in time...and I am so glad that I was able to witness it. Here's to CHANGE and to a future full of HOPE! I know that he will have a tough road ahead of him, but I believe in my heart of hearts that he will get America back on the right track.

With the joyous announcement of our next President, I am also saddened that California Prop 8 has passed (52% Yes, to 48% No...a very close race) and will eliminate the rights of same-sex couples to marry. I am not sure what will happen to my own marriage license, to my partner of 16 years and husband of 4/8 years, but I assure you that the fight for EQUALITY will continue. I am just amazed that Californians voted for the fair treatment and rights of chickens and other farm animals, but voted against protecting the rights of two human beings.

Here's to future hope and for positive change from a now second-class citizen. I am so glad that this is all over too, now I can stop worrying about the elections and get some real sleep! Thank you all for getting out your vote. I know that we all may disagree about what's right for this country, but I respect that everyone voted for their truth and proved that the process of democracy is alive and well, even though some of us wish the outcome could have been different.

-Percy

Photo from the NPR

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yay for Obama winning, but boo to all of our fellow Californians who voted for Prop 8. You are right, the fight for equality will go on.

Other Articles You May Like

Related Posts with Thumbnails