Monday, January 17, 2011

Golden Globes 2011 - WOW Gowns Galore

I love watching the parade of gowns at the Golden Globes, because it gives a view of what we may expect at the Oscars. A lot of the gowns I saw Sunday evening could easily translate into wedding gowns as well as formal bridesmaid gowns. I was really surprised to see some trends continue, one shoulder gowns, while new ones begin, SLEEVES! I loved that many of the gorgeous ladies were wearing gowns with sleeves (full, long, cap). I predicted that the sleeves trend would happen back in 2009 in the wedding industry as well - so I was a couple years early, see my post here.

In addition to the sleeves, we saw lots of pinks in all kinds of hues. Emerald tones also seem to continue to be in fashion - though I think not everyone can carry this color. Other trends I saw last night halter gowns and not overdone hair. Lots of loose dos and ponytails...very charming I thought.
Below are my pics of my favorite gowns from the Golden Globes and some that I thought just didn't quite hit the mark.

My favorite overall look for the evening Claire Danes (main picture) in a backless halter dress by Calvin Klein in pink!

Hot: The Arms Have It

Eva Longoria in Zac Posen, Heather Morris in Lorena Sarbu, Scarlett Johansson in Elie Saab, and Helen Mirren in Badgley Mischka

Hot: Blushing Ladies

Emma Stone in Calvin Klein, Lea Michele in Oscar de la Renta, Natalie Portman in Viktor & Rolf, and Sandra Bullock in Jenny Packham

Hot: Emeralds are a Girls Best friend

Angelina Jolie in Versace Atelier, Catherine Zeta-Jones in Monique Lhuillier, Elizabeth Moss in Donna Karan, and Mila Kunis in Vera Wang

Hot: One Shoulder Bandit

Nicole Kidman in Prada, Julie Bowen in Tadashi Shoji, Kelly Osbourne in Zac Posen, and Amy Adams in Marchesa

Hot: All that Glitters is Gold

Anne Hathaway in Armani Privé, Amber Riley in Oliver Tolentino, Olivia Wilde in Marchesa, and Carrie Underwood in Badgley Mischka

Hot: Flattery Will Get You Everywhere

Jennifer Lopez in Zuhair Murad , Christina Hendricks in Romona Keveza, Sofia Vergara in Vera Wang, and Heidi Klum in Marc Jacobs

Warm: It was Just Off a Bit

Julianne Moore in Lanvin (would have been fantastic without that sleeve cape thing), Jennifer Love Hewitt in Romona Keveza (the crumb catcher top was way too big and the overall look was overdone), Kyra Sedgwick in Emilio Pucci (I think this would have looked better in a different color, the saffron color on Kyra looked off), Michelle Williams in Valentino ( I love the shape but hate the daisies - I think without those flowers it would have been a hit).

Not: Dated and Off A Lot

Edie Falco in Valentino (dress does not fit her right and it looks like her boob could fall out at any moment), Jane Fonda in George Hobeika (Barbarella it's time to retire those sleeves), Hallie Berry in Nina Ricci (looks like you just walked off the Broadway play Chicago and put a sarong on), Tilda Swinton in Jil Sanders (Sharon Stone did that look in the 90s and unfortunately this does not even come close).

Total Wrecks

Helena Bonham Carter in Vivienne Westwood (Girls Just Want to Have Fun), Jennifer Jones in Versace (Appendages are not in fashion) , Christina Aguilera in Zuhair Murad (stealing from the costume department of Burlesque was not a good idea) , and Tina Fey in L'Wren Scott (crushed velvet is so 1980's and so unflattering to the body).


There you have my reviews for the gowns of the Golden Globe red carpet. Hope you enjoy it.

No comments:

Other Articles You May Like

Related Posts with Thumbnails