Friday, September 4, 2009

What's Hot and What's Not

A friend of mine, who is getting married, came by the other day and showed me some stuff she wanted to do for her wedding...I don't know if she was joking or not, but seriously I was scared of her choices. She told me that these were her "inspirations" and wanted me to help her come up with something that was fresh but still had the same feeling. So she challenged me to turn her crazy inspirations pics into something that is well...a little more up-to-date.

This is my hot and not list for my dear friend...which I may have to rethink after seeing her choices. Her choices are the NOT pics and mine of course are the HOT pics. Here we go...

First the head piece. My friend wants to wear bling...

I realize that every bride wants to be a princess on her wedding day. But really gals...the tiara, especially ones that's only fit for royalty, is a little passe...it's very 2007. For an up-to-date look that still gives your up do a little flair, try some hair adornments that are placed towards the back or side of the hair for a fresh updated look.

Now the dress...she wanted to stand out...

Okay ladies, I also realize that pick me up skirts is another princess concept and the colored dresses was the sign of being the "un-bride" or "unique bride." But...do you really want to see those pictures 5, 10, 15+ years from now and think..."who in the hell thought this was a good idea?" Pick me up skirts are fabulous, but you really don't need that extra bling on the skirt. Next the color RED...okay I know "rebel bride" but it just screams...really cheap. Instead try for a hint or subtle color in blush, pale pink, champagne or for you bolder brides a faint sea foam. Trust me if you want to make an impact choose something subtle with just one or two unique details...people will scream WOW rather than OMG.

The shoes or can I say glass slipper...

Again, I get the Cinderella syndrome, but when it comes to shoes, do you really want your feet sweating inside plastic on your wedding day? It's not comfortable and when you get back to your suite that night, the feet may be a little too funky for the groom. Instead of taking the glass slipper literally, go for a shoe that hints that it's a glass slipper but still wearable and more comfortable. Unless you plan to leave it on a staircase during the evening, most people won't even see them anyway.

The multi-colored bouquet...

I love the use of colors in a bouquet...but only if it's done correctly. It could turn a joyous full burst of color to one big hot mess. When choosing a multi color bouquet, plan on going more with less. Choose interesting flowers with bold colors but keep the styling simple...all the other dodads and things popping out of the bouquet are not necessary. You want it to be pleasing to the eye and not an eye sore.

The cake...did she seriously say she wanted to have a satellite wedding cake (multi-tiered mess)...

The satellite cake was very popular in the 1970s and though it's not at all modern or pleasing to the eye...some people still like to have this set up. In modernizing and making this cake wreck concept go away...one can do multiple, small, multi-tiered cakes in the same color palette with different designs, it gives a throwback to the satellite concept without having to go there. Additionally, it will lend a beautiful visual to your dessert bar.

Hopefully my friend sees the difference between what she thought she wants and what I know she wants. There's a fine line between hot and not, but when it comes down to it...remember the saying, "Less is more!"

Stay cool!

-Percy

Photo Credits: "Not" photos from various websites on the Internet, "Hot" photos from Brides.com except for "Hot" Shoes which was from Zappos.com

1 comment:

Roe said...

Love this Blog! We have tons of Wedding favors to browse at www.ChocolateTreasureChest.com, I think you'll be placing this site in the "Hot" column!

Other Articles You May Like

Related Posts with Thumbnails