Monday, June 9, 2008

Cake Toppers - What's a Gay to Do?

Now that California will legally be recognizing and allowing same sex couples to marry, beginning on June 17, 2008, the flurry of last minute gay and lesbian nuptials are in the planning stages for the summer.

I'm talking about cake toppers today, because I got a call from the Santa Barbara News-Press regarding the increase of wedding business that maybe happening within the next few months, it's estimated that the gay wedding business will top over $370 million this coming year, according to some news sources. One of the questions that was asked by the reporter was...will I be using a two groom topper (as pictured) at a wedding I am planning for June 21st.

First let me say that I hate figurines of any type on a wedding cake...straight or gay. I think there is some "camp" value to it, but in reality I HATE THEM. But if you are a couple that is insistent on using them, consider using one made by Unique Cake Toppers, because theirs at least looks decent and not so plastic, circa 1950s, unless of course you are going with the 50s theme.

When asked this question, I cringed, because I would never use them or suggest them. It doesn’t reflect the bride and groom, groom and groom, or bride and bride. At any rate, I think the cake topper trend is becoming a little passé. Sure, the monograms are great, but in reality the cake itself should be the showstopper...it's traditionally the centerpiece of the reception.

Therefore, if you want my two cents...cake toppers should be an extension of the cake and the couple and should really be designed with the cake in mind. Sticking two figurines on top is just so simple and in reality, it looks so dreadfully dated. Additionally, these figurines tend to be eaten up by the size of some of the cakes that we are seeing lately. SO COUPLES - regardless of your sexual orientation...just say no to the figurines.

In addition, same-sex couples...let's try to limit the number of times we use the rainbow in our wedding decor - I love rainbows, but in reality, it's not that great of a color combination...so let's keep it to nature and to the rainbow flag.

-Percy

Photo from REUTERS/Mario Anzuoni (UNITED STATES)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I so agree with you about the cake toppers plastic figurines and also the rainbow color combination.

Other Articles You May Like

Related Posts with Thumbnails