Tuesday, September 30, 2008

The Women - The New Girls of Fashion

I finally saw the remake of The Women last night at the Ojai Playhouse with Mary Steenburgen sitting one row in front of me; she is an Ojai resident along with hubby Ted Danson. At any rate, this movie is a must see for you fashionistas, I am not sure why it got bad ratings because I found it thoroughly enjoyable, just as Tanya's (Debi Mazar) Jungle Red nail polish.

Saks (Fifth Avenue) was the store focus, but you got an eyeful of fashions from Chanel, Christian Laboutin, Prada, Marc Jacobs, and other noted designers.

The acting was superb, especially Annette Bening's character, Sylvie. Jada Pinkett Smith (Alex Fisher) and the cameo by Bette Midler (Leah Miller) were also very memorable. Meg Ryan was outstanding in her role as Mary Haines. It was nice to see Debra Messing (Edie Cohen) not play a "Grace" character and Eva Mendez, in the Joan Crawford part as Crystal Allen, was diva-ish to the max.

The only thing missing was a wedding scene, but overall, there were some outstanding moments and even more fabulous everyday fashions! I laughed so hard in some parts that I almost peed in my pants. So if you have not had the opportunity to see it...go do so ASAP. Being a big Sex and the City fan, I have to say that this is what SATC could have been if they did it right...did I just say that out load? Hit me with your Manolo's and call me Mary.

So ladies, or even gentlemen into "chick" flicks, this is a winner...even as good if not better than the original 1939 version. I also have to say kudos to Cloris Leachman (Maggie) and Candice Bergen (Catherine Frazier) for their contributions to this remake. It was also nice that they kept the concept of not having any men in the movie, just like the original.

-Percy

Photo from IMDb

No comments:

Other Articles You May Like

Related Posts with Thumbnails