Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Wacky Wednesdays: Fidelity: Don't Divorce (Courage Campaign)


"Fidelity": Don't Divorce... from Courage Campaign on Vimeo.

Today I am doing a little political blog...because I believe that Love is Love and in Equal Rights.

Tomorrow, my partner/husband and I will be celebrating our 17th anniversary, longer than most of our heterosexual friends. Yet, we have only been legally married since June 17, 2008 (8 months)...the first day that it was legal and recognized that ALL Californians had the right to marry the ONE PERSON THEY LOVE. As of today, our marriage is still intact, but Ken Starr is wanting to have our marriage taken away...basically force us to divorce, even though we were married before the November 4, 2008 passing of Prop 8. I urge all of you who stand on the side of love, support marriage equality, and believe that my marriage should remain valid, to visit www.couragecampaign.org/divorce and sign the petition that will be sent to the Supreme Court of California.

From the Courage Campaign. "On December 19, 2008, Ken Starr and the Prop 8 Legal Defense Fund filed legal briefs defending the constitutionality of Prop 8 and seeking to nullify the marriages of 18,000 devoted same-sex couples solemnized before Prop 8 passed.

The Supreme Court will hear oral arguments in this case on March 5 2009, with a decision expected within 90 days." People signing the petition are asking, "That the Court enforce the equality promised to each of us by our constitution and invalidate Prop 8. By doing so, it will protect all loving, committed couples in California -– including the 18,000 who said "I do" last year –- and prevent the initiative process from being a tool for stripping vulnerable minorities of precious constitutional rights.

As Americans who believe in the rule of law and fundamental civil rights, we know that Ken Starr and the Prop 8 Legal Defense Fund's shameful attempt to nullify equal protection and all these bonded unions will be condemned in the eyes of history. We know that, ultimately, love will prevail, no matter how hard they try to fight it."

Support Love, Support Equality.

-Percy

P.S. This video was very emotional. We submitted our family photo to this, but unfortunately, we did not make the cut. However, it's still a great video and a wonderful song.

Video from Courage Campaign

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay Percy! I love this post, and I love your blog :) Love is love! Thanks so much for your wonderful ideas each day, jessy from fleurs

Sara said...

I meant to comment on this when you first posted it, but I read it on my iPhone and forgot!

This video makes me cry. Crossing my fingers CA does the right thing.

Other Articles You May Like

Related Posts with Thumbnails