Saturday, July 26, 2008

My Top Five Best Wedding Movies Ever

As a wedding planner, movies offer inspiration and a dose of comic relief for my much beloved career. It also offers an opportunity to cry...yeah okay so I am a guy who cries at chick flicks...call me a sap, but I just do. I just love wedding themed movies and now I am going to name off my Top Five Best Wedding Themed Movies ever...here they are:

1) Muriel's Wedding (1994): Set in Porpoise Spit and Sydney, Australia, this movie starring Toni Collette and Rachel Griffiths was an indie sleeper. It gives a look to the trial and tribulations of Muriel Heslop who is looking for love and the ultimate wedding day. She is obsessed with ABBA so the movie has a lot of ABBA music...sounds like Mama Mia, but trust me it's much better. Such a fun movie. I can watch it over and over again.

Favorite Quote from the movie: "My life is as good as an ABBA song. It's as good as Dancing Queen. "

2) My Big Fat Greek Wedding (2002): Who doesn't love watching the love affair between Toula and Ian. This is a great movie to relate to if you have a huge family. Nia Vardalos gives a wonderful performance and so does her dad Gus, played by Michael Constantine. Additionally, John Corbett is perfect in the role of the "gringo love interest." Plus it gives you insight on the type of dresses not to buy!

Favorite Quote from the movie: "There's a hole in this cake!"

3) Father of the Bride (1950) & (1991): I love both versions of the movie. The original starring Elizabeth Taylor and Spencer Tracy and the more recent version with Steve Martin and Diane Keaton. Gives an insight to the father's perspective of the wedding day. Great wedding and planning scenes and both Spencer and Steve give off great comic relief to the movie.

Favorite Quote from the movie: "Armani don't make polyester."

4) Sex and The City (2008): I love this movie because I have become attached to the characters in the TV Show. I love them girls. Additionally, this movie has some great gown inspiration and other fashions. It also shows that true love can conquer all.

Favorite Quote from the movie: "Charlotte has pudding in her Prada."

5) The Wedding Banquet aka Xi Yan (1993): Ang Lee's story of a gay Taiwanese-American who has a marriage of convenience to a woman who needs a green card. He has been getting pressure from his parents to marry...so this marriage is a good cover-up to his true life as a gay man living with his true love, Simon. Well everything gets really complicated when the parents decide they are coming to witness the wedding and throw a lavish reception. A wonderful cross-cultural story of love, convenience, and family.

Favorite Quote from the movie: "Better and richer, no poorer."

Let me know what your favorite wedding movies are and if you have not seen the ones on my list...I highly recommend that you run out and go to your local video store and rent them today.

-Percy

Photo from IMDb

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Muriel's wedding is one of my favorite wedding movies too. Here are my other favs:
Runaway Bride
The Wedding Planner
Made of Honor

Shortt Stories said...

I adore Father of the Bride... I always cry and I've seen it a million and one times!

Natalia said...

Muriel' Wedding! I love that movie.
I kid you not...my best friend and I went to watch it in the Theatres 3X!!!

Other Articles You May Like

Related Posts with Thumbnails